SUCCESS STORY LIEBHERR
Increased planning security, cost reduction and smart maintenance scheduling with the Liebherr fleet management system
Construction machines are highly technical regarding its handling and also very expensive capital goods speaking about procurement and maintenance because its operational readiness requires 24/7 use as well as resistance to extreme environmental conditions. Therefore the demands LIEBHERR wants to fulfill are efficiency, robustness, high availability, efficient machine handling, localization and machine scheduling.
- Construction machines in the product areas earth movement, hydraulic rope excavators, crawler cranes, maritime cranes as well as machines from other providers within these areas
- 5000 connected devices per year
- From the very beginning to the product: overall new development of the solution
- Lack of standards: no (re)usable components for an integration into the designed overall solution available
- Heterogeneity: plenty of different machine types including machines from other providers. Variety of various data.
- Robustness: Extreme operating and environmental conditions of machines require appropriate robustness of remote service clients including global availability and big data volume.
- Machine integration: simultaneous integration of various machine types at the moment of market launch.
- Future proof design: high requirements regarding the future proof design of the IoT solution and the lifetime of the hardware device duo to the long lifetime of the machines.
- Profitability: the long lifetime of the machines result in the requirement of profitability over long periods of time.
- Organizational consulting: guidance through disruptive organizational changes starting from machine provider up to technology provider.
- Functional safety: focus on functional safety – especially operating records.
The multi-client capable IoT system – which is available in various packages – enables fleet management of LIEBHERR machines as well as machines of different providers upon a standardized platform. Based on the Microsoft-stack the standard package includes information regarding the operational plan, positional data of the machines, operational and utilization times, service intervals, leasing and administration. Furthermore the LiDATPlus provides geographical and temporal control, alert notifications for critical operating status and e. g. data of fuel consumption – transmitted by GSM, GPRS or Edge. A sustainably important function is the proof of the CO² footprint of a whole construction site. The additional package “Remote Service” of LIEBHERR services supports the opportunity to log into the machine control from all over the world to correct disruptions or possible errors. The client is also used for collecting data for e. g. the construction of machines, questions on product liability and product monitoring.